Think Progress. Think Tomorrow. Think GRADD.
AmeriCorps ProgramTo apply for the AmeriCorps Senior Connections program, please download the application or go online to: www.americorps.gov
The Kentucky Commission on Community Volunteerism and Service (KCCVS) website has information on programs in Kentucky: www.volunteerky.ky.gov
The Green River Area Development District is home to the AmeriCorps Senior Connections program which started in 1997.
Our mission is to provide direct services and counseling to seniors to improve their quality of life and to enable them to live independently in their own homes.
Members help prepare and deliver meals-on-wheels and congregate meals, provide telephone reassurance, friendly visits (including chores and caregiver relief), locate programs for reduced or free prescription medications, educate seniors on changing Medicare benefits, minor home repairs, assist seniors with finding employment, and more.
GRADD was awarded a three-year federal competitive grant by the Corporation for National Community Service (CNCS) for the Senior Connections program. This program was awarded 30 full-time slots for AmeriCorps members. The service year starts September 1st and goes through August 31st.
Service sites for Senior Connections include:
- Senior Citizen Centers
- Adult Day Care
- Senior Living Facilities
- GRADD (prescription assistance and benefits counseling program)
- Hospice organizations
- Career Centers
- American Red Cross
Senior Connections has been recognized as one of the 51 Most innovative AmeriCorps programs in the U.S.
How the program works:
Qualified host agencies sponsor AmeriCorps members for $5,000. These funds cover administration, travel, training, and insurance.
Members serve 1,700 hours of community service with an assigned service site. This is roughly equivalent to full-time employment for a year.
Member Benefits include:
- A minimal living allowance of $12,100 paid out over 24 equal pay periods.
- A $5,550 education award upon the completion of 1,700 hours of service.
- Health insurance is provided at no cost to the member.
- Student loans may be placed in forbearance for the duration of member's service.
- Childcare assistance is available if eligible.
- Training in disaster preparedness and response by the American Red Cross.
- A member may serve in AmeriCorps for two years.
For more information contact David Clark, AmeriCorps Program Director, at 270-926-4433 or email at email@example.com.